The bot builder has beaten the general perception that building a bot requires custom development. It is as easy as connecting a few dots with numbers indicating the flow.
The below steps and the associated images below would walk you through the steps involved in configuring a bot:
- Login to your bot builder, click on the hamburger menu in the left pane to open up the bots list. This page lists all the bots configured in your account.
- Click Create New Bot. Give your bot a name and description. The Select Channels to Publish option allows you to choose the platforms where bot is intended to be deployed. Hit Next once you’re done.
- The bot gets created and you will be redirected to the ‘Welcome’ flow. This is the first flow that is triggered when the chat is initiated.
- You can edit the text in the existing dialog of this flow by clicking on the dialog, either to convey your brand message or get an input from the user. The gear icon at the top of every flow allows you to change the name of the flow, Add Intent keywords - keywords you enter here will help in triggering that flow, and disable the flow.
- All the dialogs created are executed subsequently unless a condition in the previous dialog redirects the user to a different flow or a dialog. For input types button, carousel you can trigger actions corresponding to the values/options defined, by clicking on ‘+’ for that dialog.
For example, if a movie booking site wants to display the list of movies based on their location, you can define conditions to generate the flows corresponding to the chosen location.
Another example, is where a bank evaluating the age of the customer and then showing the interest rates accordingly. This is possible with the operators available in conditions.
Likewise, a user can be redirected to a particular dialog in another flow if the value entered by him doesn’t satisfy the conditions using the Else or -ve case. You can also make use of the nested AND/OR operators for evaluations.
- Actions feature in the dialog allows you to execute some events based on your requirements. This article will give you more insights on various actions available.
Note: Actions are executed in a dialog before the text is displayed or conditions are evaluated. For example, if you want to redirect the customers to the payment gateway after collecting the order details you need to provide that option in the previous dialog and not in the one where the Client Side Actions is configured.
- The preview option available on the flow view allows you to verify the config set up. Scroll down to test your bot.
- Upon completing the configuration you can visualise how the connections are made between flows by clicking on zoom out in that bot. You can switch between the holistic and the list of the flows by toggling the icon adjacent to preview.
- The ‘Predefined Navigation’ feature (at the top right corner on the flow view page) allows you to provide an option to the customers and redirect them to any dialog (previous or next), bypassing the intermediary dialogs.
Note: This can be a button - which can be enabled in individual dialogs, or a widget menu - available anywhere in a flow, and Slash commands - only with Text fields.