The Email Bot is a Freddy AI feature that enables self-service for your customers via emails. Once enabled, the Email Bot automatically responds to repetitive, low-touch email queries with the most relevant solution articles that can resolve the customer’s issue, using a Machine Learning model.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Enabling the Email Bot
- Defining the Email Bot triggers
- Setting up and editing the response email template
- Sending test emails
- Points to note w.r.t. how the Email Bot works
Enabling the Email Bot
Here's how you can enable the Email Bot on your Freshdesk account.
- Login to your Freshdesk account as an Admin
- Navigate to the Admin section and click on ‘Email Bot’ under ‘Freddy configurations’
- When you click on it for the first time using your account, you will see the welcome screen
- Click on ‘Get started with Email Bot’
- On the Email Bot setup page, toggle the ‘Enable email bot’ button from the ‘off’ to the ‘on’ setting as shown below
Defining the Email Bot triggers
Once the Email Bot is enabled, you will be able to access the settings for the feature. Here, you can define the Email Bot triggers, setup and edit the response email template, and send test emails.
Let’s start by defining the triggers. Defining a trigger helps the Email Bot identify which new incoming email tickets to respond to, and which tickets to leave for agents to resolve.
A quick guide to defining the triggers for Email Bot
- After enabling the Email Bot as discussed earlier, scroll down to the 'Trigger' section on the same page
- Define the conditions that will be used by the Email Bot to identify the incoming tickets it should and should not get triggered on
- Once you fill in the parameters, scroll down and click on the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page
You can add multiple sets of conditions, and choose between ‘Match all of the below conditions’ or ‘Match any of the below conditions’ to define your filtration criteria. You can also use ‘And/Or’ conditions to stitch together multiple sets of trigger conditions to further filter your trigger criteria.
This section is identical to the Automation Rules section in Freshdesk. The only difference is that these triggers will only be applicable on tickets for which the source is ‘Email’.
Setting up and editing the response email template
Once the Email Bot is enabled, you will notice a default response template added under the 'Email Template' section on the same page.
Here's how you can edit and update the response email template for the Email Bot.
- After enabling the Email Bot as discussed earlier, scroll down to the 'Email Template' section on the same page
- Edit the text of the response template in the editor below
- You can add any placeholders to make the email more personalized (as shown in the screenshot below)
- To access the complete list of placeholders, click on the '+' icon at the bottom-right of the editor, as highlighted in the screenshot above
Note: The default Email Bot template comes with a set of conditions, highlighted in the screenshot below. This is where the Email Bot inserts the recommended solution articles in its response. In case there is no solution article that can be recommended for a particular ticket, this section is omitted from the Email Bot response. In such a case, the response text (before or after this section) can be configured to act as an acknowledgement email.
- Once the text is entered, scroll down and click on the 'Save' button
Sending test emails
You can test and see how the customer will see the email in their inbox by sending yourself a test email. Here's how you can do it.
- Once you add a response template as described above, scroll down to the test email section on the same page
- Enter the email ID you wish to send the test email to
- Click on the 'Send test email' button
The test email you receive will have up to 3 recommended solution articles, selected at random, that will act as placeholders. For your customers, these solution articles will be replaced with up to 3 most relevant articles pertaining to their specific query.
Points to note w.r.t. how the Email Bot works
- The Email Bot only works on new tickets
- The Email Bot is only triggered once per ticket after all the automations have been executed
- Agents can see the Email Bot responses to each ticket as a private note
- Agents can also view the details of the articles viewed by the customer and also identify the article that helped resolve the query for the customer (in case the query is marked as resolved)